Today, the Washington County Democratic Party (WCDP) announces the launch of a year-long series of non-partisan, educational, public forums open to all, regardless of political affiliation.
The purpose of these events is to inform our communities about successes and challenges for our region across a variety of topics: diversity, education, the environment, workers’ rights, economic development, social justice, public safety, transportation, and healthcare. These forums will be held on the second Tuesday of the month, on the first and second month of each quarter throughout 2023.
The first forum will occur on Tuesday, January 10th, 2023, and focus on “Diversity & Inclusion in Appalachia.” Four local community stakeholders and experts will speak in a panel setting and answer questions from the audience:
- Josie Watson
- Founder and President of TAWOSUN (TriCities African Women’s Support Network)
- Member of Women of Color TriCities
- Member of the McKinney Center’s Diversity and Equity Committee
- Kathy Whitaker
- Former Director of the First Tennessee Area Agency on Aging and Disability
- First Tennessee Development District
- Melody Taylor
- President of the Board of TriPride
- Seth Manning
- Advocate for the Disability Community
This event, and all subsequent forums, will start at 6:30 pm, and be held at the Carver Recreation Center’s Community Room (322 W. Watauga Ave., Johnson City, TN 37604). The events will be live-streamed on WCDP’s Facebook page.